Equinom Inc. (www.equi-nom.com), an innovative food technology company, is transforming the agriculture industry by using advanced technology to tap into natural biodiversity to cultivate better food from the ground up. The company works “end-to-end” to develop new value-added, non-GMO seed varieties that offer growers competitive crop yields and deliver superior taste and nutritional profiles desired by the food industry. Equinom ensures that their proprietary grains have strong market demand, working directly with ingredient and food companies to identify target applications and specific needs. Equinom is actively commercializing superior, food-grade varieties of sesame, pea, and soybean – and developing a pipeline of alternative proteins including mung bean, cowpea, chickpea, and fava. Leveraging an innovative business model, Equinom supports the entire supply chain and collaborates with top-tier food companies to bring an array of innovative ingredients to market.
Equinom Inc. is looking to hire a full-time Research Technician at their Lafayette, Indiana location. The research associate will support the R&D breeding team with day-to-day tasks related to soybean breeding, such as planting, crossing, tissue sampling, note taking, and harvest. This hands-on role will require the associate to work well independently and with others to efficiently produce on-time, high-quality products that are in line with the company’s breeding goals.
An ideal candidate will be well organized and detail oriented, able to demonstrate innovative critical thinking, and be open to giving and receiving new ideas, perspectives, and constructive feedback.
- Assist with all soybean breeding activities, including but not limited to planting preparation, leaf tissue sampling, hand pollination, hand harvest, seed cleaning, sorting, packaging, inventory, and logistics
- Collect high quality, high-throughput phenotype data for field plots, plants, and seeds; identify flower color, disease expression, maturity, hilum color, among other physical attributes
- Organize collected phenotypic data, summarize results, identify issues, and problem solve solutions
- Identify agronomic problems in the field and collaborate with colleagues and/or service providers to resolve them
- Assist in training and supervising seasonal labor for leaf tissue sampling, hand pollination, and harvest activities
- Operate field and lab equipment, such as seed cleaners and small threshers, according to safety protocols and operating instructions
- Travel to off-site locations alone or with crew to complete assigned objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Plant Biology, or related subject, plus 3 years of experience with soybean research nursery trials
- Experience with soybean hand pollination and phenotypic data collection
- Experience with standard farm machinery (tractors, combines, etc.) operation and maintenance
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite (especially Word and Excel) and Android OS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Able to work extended days and weekends during peak times, particularly during crossing and harvest season
- Must have current valid driver’s license and be willing to drive alone or with others
- Able and willing to obtain and maintain a commercial pesticide applicator’s license
- Able and willing to perform physical work indoors and outdoors that may involve repetitive motion, lifting up to 50 lbs., sitting or standing for extended periods, and exposure to sun, heat, dust, and allergens
- Able to work well independently and collaborate effectively with others of diverse backgrounds and experiences